Nothing completes a room like an area rug. The same goes for an outdoor space. An RV outdoor mat can make a major difference when setting up chairs, picnic tables, and other accessories just outside the door of your RV.
Choosing a mat is more of a personal decision than just ordering the first one you see online or picking one up at the RV store. After all, a functional and attractive outdoor mat says, “This is my space, an extension of my RV.”
Continue reading, and we’ll discuss which RV outdoor mat is right for you and why you need one.
What Is an RV Outdoor Mat?
An RV outdoor mat is a synthetic material rug RVers use outside their rigs to extend living space and keep the inside of the RV clean by knocking sand and gravel off shoes.
The best RV outdoor mat will do this without killing the grass and vegetation underneath. The mats should be waterproof and easy to clean when, for example, a hot dog topped with the works falls on it.
Benefits of Using an RV Outdoor Mat
The benefits of an RV outdoor mat outweigh any arguments to the contrary. It makes a space homey and creates a dedicated outline for your chairs, tables, grill, etc. A designer would add a rug to an outside area to give it color and life.
The mat design allows shoe debris to slip through the weave rather than being tracked into your RV. It also makes the ground more comfortable to walk on without shoes. RV outdoor mats can be left out in the weather and will dry quickly.
What To Look For When Buying an RV Patio Mat
As you search for your ideal RV patio mat, there are several criteria to consider. Here are some of the most important:
- Size – You can choose long and skinny to follow the length of your travel trailer or a square 9’x9’ sized mat outside your door. Measure the space you typically occupy when parked and search for a rug size that will accommodate.
- Material Type – A typical RV mat is made of synthetic fibers making it easier to clean and more durable. Many mats are made of polypropylene, often used in outdoor clothing. Olefin, another synthetic material that’s easy to clean, is also commonly used in mats. Other rugs are made of polyester, nylon, and jute.
- Durability – The outdoor mats, especially the polypropylene and olefin, are great for heavy traffic and pets. They also stand up to weather and the elements, like the sun, rain, and even the occasional hail storm.
- Portability & Storage – The mats fold up relatively small–even the larger lengths–and most come with a carrying case. So they will fit under your RV in a medium storage area with room to spare.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning – The mats hold their shape well and unfold with a shake or a few flips of the stack. You might need to sweep the rug a few times, depending on the length of your trip. However, if food falls onto the mat, just spray with a hose or wipe with a sponge.
The Best RV Outdoor Mats
It won’t take you long to realize the vast assortment of mats at your disposal. It can be overwhelming! So, we’ve put together a list of some of our favorites so you can choose the best RV outdoor mat for you.
Mings Mark RV Patio Mats
The Mingus Mark RV Patio Mats have a reversible swish pattern that is made of 100% polypropylene. It’s 8’x18’, giving you plenty of space for your outdoor living area. It’s easy to clean and mold/mildew resistant.
Beth M. gave it five stars on Amazon and said:
“I’d buy again!!! Well made rug… nice graphics and lightweight. The bag is oversized which allows the rug to easily go back into storage. It rained hard and dried quickly and sand fell right off the rug.”
- SOFT AND DURABLE: Made with virgin polypropylene breathable material designed to be safe to use on grass.
- LONG LASTING COLORS: Coated with UV protection against sun exposure so that colors do not fade
Reversible Mats 9×12 RV Patio Mat
The Reversible Mats 9×12 RV Patio Mat is made of durable polypropylene and coated to protect against sun damage. Easy to clean with a broom or spray clean with water. This mat weighs 7.8 pounds and comes with a carrying bag.
Scott M. said on Amazon:
“This mat is very well constructed. Feels great on feet, not slippery when wet and it breathes – dries out quickly after a rain and allows the ground underneath to dry, too. I can’t believe that it still looks as good as the day we got it – I’ve spilled food & drinks on it, dirty feet, hot pots, coffee and so much more. Incredibly easy to clean – I just hose it down and it looks great. I did have to scrub off some pasta sauce, but it came right out and didn’t stain.”
- Soft and durable virgin polypropylene material
- UV coated to protect against fading and other sun damage
Reversible Mats 9×18 RV Outdoor Mat
The Reversible Mats 9×18 RV Outdoor Mat is you guessed it, also reversible! This also has a stylish black and white swirl pattern. It’s made of polypropylene material, is easy to clean, and is mold and mildew resistant. It weighs 11.35 pounds and has a carrying bag.
Hooper on Amazon said:
“Love this mat. My husband thought I was crazy for ordering such a large size but it didn’t take long to win him over. Much more enjoyable to walk on the mat versus dirt. Pretty much covered our entire campsite. Poured down rain and we were able to sweep off the side lying down. Going to get another smaller size as well.”
- Breathable material won’t damage grass
- UV coated to protect against fading and other sun damage
Mountain Mat Earth-Friendly Outdoor RV Patio Mat
The Mountain Mat Earth-Friendly Outdoor RV Patio Mat is a stylish addition to your outdoor setup. It is 8’x12’ and made from recycled polypropylene weave. Cleaning is easy with a garden hose. It resists all stains like wine, mud, ketchup, and more. It comes with a carrying bag and weighs 9.48 pounds.
Reahanna on Amazon said:
“I got this as a gift from my family and it’s worked great. It’s soft and thick so it works great outside in TX with the rocks! The design and stitching are really well done so you can tell it’s well made and not a cheap item. Plus, it’s made from recycled plastic, so I feel like it’s a good eco-friendly option.”
- STRONGER, THICKER, BETTER - Our indoor/outdoor mats are the premium recreation rugs on the market. Woven from...
- ECO-FRIENDLY - Let’s work together to reduce the carbon footprint! Mountain Mats are woven from 100% recycled...
Sand Mine Reversible RV Outdoor Rug
The Sand Mine Reversible RV Outdoor Rug is a gorgeous geometric pattern and comes in two sizes: 9’x12’ or 5’x8’. It’s black and gray made from virgin polypropylene and with an edging treated to reduce fraying. It’s mold and mildew resistant and cleans with a broom or by spraying with water. The larger mat weighs 7.78 pounds.
Donna L. said on Amazon:
“Love the print and how big it is. So convenient for a day out at the park or camping.”
- REVERSIBLE MATS: With timeless design, this plastic patio rug is elegant as it is functional, use on your patio with...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: This outdoor rug for the beach, camper, or front porch is derived from 100% virgin polypropylene, along...
Camco Large Reversible RV Patio Mat
For a little pop of color, try this mat available in two sizes and a few different styles. The Camco Large Reversible RV Patio Mat is made from a material that’s mold/mildew-resistant. The larger mat weighs 9.3 pounds and is easy to clean.
Coin555 said on Amazon:
“We required an outdoor rug for our covered porch which would withstand constant dog and kid activity while protecting our dick…We wanted something inexpensive and easy to clean. This is perfect. It is a beautiful, large outdoor material designed to withstand activity.”
- Measures 9 feet x 12 feet
- Reversible lattice blue design
Fab Habitat Eco-Friendly Reversible Outdoor RV Rug
Here’s another colorful and stylish mat that’s reversible and comes in many different sizes and colors. The Fab Habitat Eco-Friendly Reversible Outdoor RV Rug is made of 100% recycled plastic materials. It’s UV resistant to prevent fading and sun damage. It comes with a carrying bag and the 5’ by 8’ size weighs 5 pounds.
Michelle B. reviewed this on Amazon:
“Understand this is made of recycled plastic and therefore is not meant to be used in high traffic areas, but perfect accent to a porch or patio to appreciate on a day off with a cold drink in hand.”
- MADE ENTIRELY FROM RECYCLED PLASTIC – Skilled artisans tightly weave polypropylene tubes, from recycled single-use...
- EARTH FRIENDLY & LATEX-FREE – Striving for a Natural, Healthy Home? Our rugs are free from flame retardants and latex...
EZ Travel Mats Reversible RV Awning Mat
The EZ Travel Mats Reversible RV Awning Mat comes with a storage bag and stakes. It’s made of polypropylene and weighs 9.05 pounds for the 9’x12’ size. It’s also available in 9’x18’. There are many styles and patterns. Cleans easily with water.
AntennaMan said on Amazon:
“High quality…works very well, easy to spread out and take up. I suspect it will be easy to clean. Colors are bright and I do not expect them to fade. You WILL need the hardware to keep it from blowing away.”
Sand-Free RV Patio Mat by CGear
The Sand-Free RV Patio Mat is made of patented technology to be sand-free. The sand and other fine particles fall through the weave and don’t come back. It’s available in 8’x20’, or 8’x14’. The larger rug weighs 12.62 pounds. It’s sand-free, water-resistant, UV resistant, and has military-grade construction.
The rating on Amazon is five stars.
Having the best RV outdoor mat can take your camping excursion from “meh” to “awesome!” It will make your adventures more comfortable, clean, and homey.
A stylish outdoor rug is functional, lightweight, portable, and can represent your tastes and style on the outside of your RV. It’s worth the investment and time to research the best RV outdoor mats and get one for your next trip.
- Patented Technology – Featuring the only patented sand-free tech on the market, our weave of high-density double...
- Better For The Outdoors – Because wind and sunlight are able to pass through CGEAR’s permeable surface, the RV Mat...
Last update on 2021-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API