RVing with our dog, Carmen is so rewarding for us! We love watching her explore a new place for the first time or stick her head out of the truck on the open road. She is enjoying this RV adventure just as much as we are (if not more, actually). After a year on the road, we’ve discovered some essentials that make traveling with a dog so much easier. These are our top 10 must-have items if you’re going to be RVing with dogs.
1. Pet Hammack or Doggy Seatbelt
Now that we travel with Carmen in the car weekly, we purchased a pet hammock for the backseat. This is a great accessory because it keeps her safe in one area, off the floor, and protects our seats. If you can’t dedicate the entire backseat of your car or truck to Fido, at the very least get a doggy seatbelt for their safety.
- Size & Hammock Convertible: 56" Wide x 60" Length: Designed for the backseats of All STANDARD cars, trucks & SUVs. Easily convertible between hammock or standard bench coverage
- WaterProof & Non-slip Backing: Our seat cover for dog are completely waterproof because of our new Waterproof TPU. It also includes built-in rubber nonslip backing and seat anchors to prevent seat cover from sliding around
- Feel Soft and Comfortable: Use the new meterial to make the cover more lighter, your dog also feels soft and comfortable
- Easy to Install: The dog car seat cover is very easy to install with buckle straps, seat anchors and side flaps. It's also easy to clean - Machine Washable: Use Gentle Cycle
- 🐕 YOUR DOG ANYWHERE | All you need to do is pull out the strap, which also acts as a leash, and get them ready within a few seconds. Now you can take them with you to the park, the store, or even longer distances with peace of mind!
- 🐕 SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS | Whether they’re a little puppy or big enough to take up two seats - our car brace can be adjusted between 18” to 30” so that no matter the size of your best friend, they’ll be perfectly safe for that car ride!
- 🐕 READY IN A FEW SECONDS | The tangle-free nylon strap is easily set up in a few seconds. Just place the loop around your back seat headrest, secure, and attach to your dog's collar!
- 🐕 SAFETY FIRST | The importance of this strap is to keep your dog secure in the back, unable to distract you while driving. Don’t worry, the strap will allow them to sit, stand or lay down, so they’re free to get comfy!
2. Poo Bags
Okay, people! I shouldn’t have to say this but we’ve seen plenty of RVers without poo bags. Not only is it rude to not pick up after your doggy, it’s bad for the environment. Seriously it is, read this article if you don’t believe me. Don’t be the most hated neighbor in the park and get yourself some poo bags. They even have cute poo bag holders that attach to the leash so you don’t forget them.
- Bag poop better: Our 9”x13” bags have a 100 percent leak-proof guarantee to keep your hands safe
- What's in the box: 120 awesome dog poo bags on 8 refill rolls of 15 bags, and fit our dispenser too
- Poop doesn't smell like roses: Our odor blocking lavender-scent locks in that stank for good
- Easy peasy: Simple to open and tie securely so you can enjoy a stress-free walk with your best bud
- Versatile: No matter what style of leash you have, this adjustable strap is ready for it all
- Hands-free: The helpful hook on the back holds the used dog bag for you, making walks much easier
- Power couple: Our poop bags dispenser fits Earth Rated’s unscented roll of 15 bags perfectly
- Reliable: When you reach for a dog poop bag, you can count on this strong, durable dispenser
3. Outdoor Leash
If we’re blessed with a large campsite (and the campground allows it) we love to sit outside and let Carmen roam. She has free range but is still safe with our 30-foot cable lead. I have to mention we never leave her outside unsupervised even with the lead on, and you shouldn’t either. They can get tangled or be a nuisance to other dogs being walked nearby. While supervised, Carmen loves exploring our campsite, people watching and sunbathing on her lead.
4. Flea and Tick Medication
While on the road, you will be exposing your pup to many new insects (and diseases caused by those insects). We recommend investing some time researching your different flea and tick prevention options so your dog is protected. We had a vet visit on the east coast to make sure Carmen was well covered in this part of the country. It should be noted to also have a conversation with your vet about heartworm protection too. A vet visit to discuss if your dog is thoroughly protected before you hit the road is a great idea!
5. Dry Skin Shampoo
You’ll also be exposing your dog to different weather elements. Carmen had a small adjustment period in those dry winter months and in the desert states. We were able to get her through it comfortably with a good dry skin shampoo.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin treatment that comes directly to you and your pet without sacrificing vegan and organic principles or quality. Our delicate balance of essential oils forms the foundation of a veterinarian recommended coat care regimen.
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve the best when it comes to caring for their coat and skin. At Paws & Pals, we have developed a cleansing shampoo that not only respects the environment as well as nature but ensures that in doing so your pet has the best possible skin care and coat treatment available.
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Our shampoo includes oatmeal, which will help moisturize and soothe itchy skin. It may also help relieve symptoms of allergies, hot spots, dry skin, and will also clean, deodorize, and soften your pet’s coat. Our pet wash cleaner also contains all natural ingredients such as aloe & ingredients which occur organically such as pro-vitamin B5. They assist in hydrating, healing and protecting your pet’s coat and skin.
- TEAR-FREE SOAPLESS FORMULA TURNS BATHTIME INTO PLAYTIME: Our tear-free formula is the result of natural oils, vitamins, and extracts that do not irritate or inflame your dog's eyes or nose, ensuring that bath time is a fun and playful experience for you both. (we cannot guarantee a splash, free experience.)
6. Portable Water Bottle
Obviously, you’ll be out exploring with your dog during your RV adventures! Don’t forget they need to stay hydrated to keep up. We love our portable water bottle for hiking with Carmen (and she does too!).
For those times that Carmen can’t come on the adventure, we make sure she has some Kongs to keep her busy. We shove a cookie in there and she’s good to go. Working for a treat is good for your dog’s brain and keeps them occupied (for a little while at least 😉 ).
- INSTINCTUAL NEEDS: The KONG Classic red rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. Healthy play is important for dogs' physical and mental development, emotions and behavior. By encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, this toy helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging, barking and more!
- FETCH TOY: The KONG Classic's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet.
- AVERAGE CHEWING DOGS: The KONG Classic red rubber formula is created for average chewing dogs.
- GREAT FOR STUFFING: The stuffable KONG Classic is even more enticing when stuffed with kibble, peanut butter, KONG Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies. Dishwasher safe for easy clean up. BONUS: For an added challenge, freeze stuffed KONG for 4-6 hours before giving to your dog.
8. Treat Dispenser
We also have a Kong Automatic Treat Dispenser for those times we’ll be gone longer than a few hours. We’re able to put up to four Kongs inside at once. The dispense option releases every one hour or every two hours. We also put extra special Kongs in for these rare occasions (filled with wet food, sealed with peanut butter and frozen). These special treats keep her busy because they take a lot longer to get through. She gets so excited when she sees us bring out the automatic treat dispenser!
- Automatic dog-toy dispenser provides food-filled dog toys throughout the day
- Toys can be filled with dog's regular food; choose between a 4- or 8-hour setting
- Recommended for single-dog households and large dog breeds
- Includes 4 large toys, batteries, and Kong Stuff'N Snaps and Paste samples
9. MarCELL Monitoring System
The MarCELL Monitoring System is the only reason we even feel comfortable leaving the RV for longer periods of time. This awesome gadget works on cellular data and will send us a text message if the temperature, electricity, or humidity go outside of our pre-set safety ranges. Campground electricity is known for going out (we’ve had three cases in a year so far) and that scared us to death. In those hot summer months, you do not want your AC going out while your dog is in the RV. MarCELL will immediately notify us if the temperature goes above a certain range and we have time to get home to get Carmen out.
10. ID Tag and Chip
Last but definitely not least is to make sure your dog has an engraved ID tag. Ensure it is engraved with their name and your phone number (a backup phone number on there is a good idea too). Even better? Get your dog chipped. That way if they manage to get out and lose their collar, a good samaritan will hopefully get them to a vet to scan for a chip.
- These aluminum pet ID tags for cats and dogs come in 8 shapes and 9 colors, so you can create a tag that matches your pet's collar and personality
- Recommended for cats and toy dog breeds, the small size measures approximately 1 inch in diameter, and the large size measures about 1.25 inches and works best for bigger dog breeds
- Each tag has room for up to 4 lines of text on each side, and the lettering is applied using precise CO2 laser engraving for maximum readability
- These animal name tags are manufactured and engraved in the United States from aircraft-grade aluminum, and an anodized finish helps these tags retain their color and durability
Well, those are our top 10 must-have items for RVing with dogs! We’ve found each and every one of these items to be extremely beneficial while RVing with our dog. Anything else you think we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments!
Last update on 2020-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API