RVing with our dog, Carmen is so rewarding for us! We love watching her explore a new place for the first time or stick her head out of the truck on the open road. She is enjoying this RV adventure just as much as we are (if not more, actually).
Must Have Items For RVing With Dogs
After years on the road, we’ve discovered some essentials that make RVing with dogs so much easier. These are our top 10 must-have items if you’re going to bring Fido along on the adventures!
1. Pet Hammack or Doggy Seatbelt
Now that we travel with Carmen in the car weekly, we purchased a pet hammock for the backseat. This is a great accessory because it keeps her safe in one area, off the floor, and protects our seats.
- Size & Hammock Convertible: 56" Wide x 60" Length：It's a bit larger than other covers so it can be more effective in...
- WaterProof & Non-slip Backing: Our seat cover for dog are completely waterproof because of our new Waterproof TPU. It...
If you can’t dedicate the entire backseat of your car or truck to Fido, at the very least get a doggy seatbelt for their safety.
- SAFETY FIRST | Keep your pet safely restrained by harnessing your specially designed leash to the backseat while...
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS | Our Doggy Headrest Restraint is adjustable between 18-30" so that no matter the size of your...
2. Camping Poop Bags for Dogs
I shouldn’t have to say this but we’ve seen plenty of RVers without poop bags. Not only is it rude to not pick up after your dog, but it’s also bad for the environment. Seriously it is, read this article if you don’t believe me.
Don’t be the most hated neighbor in the park and get yourself some poo bags. Part of RVing with dogs is being responsible enough to clean up after them.
- ✅ BAG POOP BETTER: 9”x13” doggy bags keep your hands safe, and odor contained. More than enough capacity for large...
- ✅ EARTH FIRST, PROFIT SECOND: 120 premium pet poo bags are included in each order. A total of 8 rolls that each...
They even have cute poo bag holders that attach to the leash so you don’t forget them.
- Versatile: No matter what style of leash you have, this adjustable strap is ready for it all
- Hands-free: The helpful hook on the back holds the used dog bag for you, making walks much easier
3. Outdoor Leash
If we’re blessed with a large campsite (and the campground allows it) we love to sit outside and let Carmen roam. She has free range but is still safe with our 30-foot cable lead.
I have to mention we never leave her outside unsupervised even with the lead on, and you shouldn’t either. They can get tangled or be a nuisance to other dogs being walked nearby. Not only is it dangerous, but by leaving your pet unsupervised, you’re most likely breaking some camping rules.
Pro Tip: If you want to make sure you don’t break any other rules, read 10 Camping Rules You Should Never Break According to Campground Owners
- 30’ Tie out cable for dogs: The Mighty Paw 30-foot Tie Out Leash is perfect for giving your dog extra freedom while in...
- Chew Proof and Durable - Our chew resistant tie out cable leash is made with a steel braided cable, so even heavy...
4. Flea and Tick Medication
When RVing with dogs, you will be exposing your pup to many new insects (and diseases caused by those insects). We recommend investing some time researching your different flea and tick prevention options so your dog is protected.
We always have Carmen visit a vet in the general area we’ll be traveling in each year. This helps us gain awareness of local diseases and any additional vaccinations she might need.
- Designed for use only with dogs and puppies, this long-lasting treatment is made for dogs eight weeks or older
- Made with 2 active ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene, this treatment stops infestations and prevents new ones
5. Dry Skin Shampoo
When you full-time RV with dogs, you expose them to different weather elements. Each pet is different, but Carmen had a small adjustment period in those dry winter months and in the desert states. We were able to get her through it comfortably with a good dry skin shampoo.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin...
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve...
6. Portable Water Bottle
We understand you want to bring your fur baby along on your outdoor adventures. That’s one of the best parts of RVing with dogs! However, don’t forget they need to stay hydrated to keep up. We love our portable water bottle for hiking with Carmen (and she does too!).
- EXCELLENT PET WATER BOTTLE: the 20 oz capacity dog water bottle with bowl which is big enough and convent for longer...
- HIGH QUALITY HEALTHY MATERIAL: our TIOVERY water bottle is made of 100% food grade silicone and plastic. BPA Free,...
For those times that Carmen can’t come on the adventure, we make sure she has some Kongs to keep her busy. We shove a cookie in there and she’s good to go. Working for a treat is good for your dog’s brain and keeps them occupied. For a little while, at least.
- Instinctual Needs: The KONG Classic red rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs while providing mental...
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Classic's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with...
8. Treat Dispenser
We also have a Kong Automatic Treat Dispenser for those times we’ll be gone longer than a few hours. We’re able to put up to four Kongs inside at once. The dispense option releases every one hour or every two hours. We also put extra special Kongs in for these rare occasions (filled with wet food, sealed with peanut butter, and frozen).
These special treats keep her busy because they take a lot longer to get through. She gets so excited when she sees us bring out the automatic treat dispenser!
- Automatic dog-toy dispenser provides food-filled dog toys throughout the day
- Toys can be filled with dog's regular food; choose between a 4- or 8-hour setting
9. Temperature Monitoring System
RVing with dogs can occasionally cause some stress, especially if you have to leave them alone. A remote monitor will help ease your mind when you do have to leave your pet in the RV. The Waggle Pet Safety Temperature & Humidity Sensor will immediately notify you on your phone if the temperature, humidity, or heat index goes outside of your preset range.
Being notified when something is wrong will give you the heads up you need to get back to your pet immediately. Having a remote temperature monitor could be the one product that could save your pet’s life.
- INSTANT ALERTS ON YOUR PHONE: Get Alerted - Not alarmed. Keeping an eye on your dog’s safety is now easy. Just peel...
- 【SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED】: A Waggle subscription plan covers the Verizon 4G LTE cellular network across the US for GPS...
10. ID Tag and Chip
Last but definitely not least is to make sure your dog has an engraved ID tag. Ensure it is engraved with their name and your phone number (a backup phone number on there is a good idea too). When RVing with dogs, you never know if they’ll manage to sneak out. You will want to make sure if anyone finds them, they can get in touch with you.
Even better? Get your dog chipped. That way if they manage to get out and lose their collar, a good samaritan will hopefully get them to a vet to scan for a chip.
- These aluminum pet ID tags for cats and dogs come in 8 shapes and 9 colors, so you can create a tag that matches your...
- Recommended for cats and toy dog breeds, the small size measures approximately 1 inch in diameter, and the large size...
Pro Tip: It’s always a good idea to have a savings account set aside for any pet emergencies. If you don’t have one, looking into pet insurance is another great alternative to make sure your dog is protected on the road.
RVing With Dogs Makes For The Perfect Camping Experience
Well, those are our top 10 must-have items for RVing with dogs! We’ve found each and every one of these items to be extremely beneficial while RVing with our dog. Anything else you think we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments!
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API