The more you RV, the more you’ll learn the value of having an RV tool kit readily available. While you’ll see and do many incredible things, there will be times for maintenance or repairs.
Emergency repairs won’t wait until the most convenient time either, so having an RV tool kit and maybe some MacGyver skills can be just the right solution!
What Is an RV Tool Kit and Why Do You Need One?
An RV tool kit is a collection of standard tools and items to assist with RV repairs and maintenance. Different situations call for various tools, so having an array of commonly used items can be handy.
Every RVer should have an RV tool kit easily accessible. There are so many tasks needing attention, and having the right tool can make them more manageable. Sometimes these tasks happen at inconvenient times, and you’ll need to make repairs from the side of the road or a parking lot. The Boy Scout motto is, “Always be prepared,” and we think it’s an appropriate motto for RVers too.
Where Can I Buy the Best RV Tool Kit for My RV?
Amazon and many big-box retailers will have pre-made tool kits. These kits will include general items you’ll find helpful in repairs and maintenance. These kits are a great place to start, but building your own kit means you have a customized set of tools you know you’ll use.
23 Tools That Should Be in Your RV Tool Kit
Unnecessary tools in your kit waste space and add weight to your RV. You don’t want to carry around tools you’ll never use–and you certainly don’t want to be without the right tools when you need them most! Let’s look at some tools we think anyone should have in their RV tool kit.
1. Hammer/Rubber Mallet Combo
A hammer/rubber mallet combo combines two tools into one. This combination helps save space and weight. Both a hammer and rubber mallet serve many functions in and around an RV.
A hammer or mallet has a seemingly endless number of uses, but one of the most obvious is driving stakes into the ground to secure tents or tarps.
- Double-faced solid rubber head delivers a softened positive strike
- High-strength fiberglass handle core helps absorb vibrations
Every tool kit needs a quality set of pliers. Needle nose pliers are a great choice because they have a sharp tip to assist with grabbing items.
RVs are full of small parts that are often hard to reach, and needle-nose pliers can be just the tool to get the job done.
- Material: The Pliers body is made of high-quality CR-V steel, with overall heat treatment, higher hardness and long...
- Production technology: twice heat treatment of the cutting edge, harder, cutting edge CNC processing, thinner, labor...
3. Duct Tape
Whether it’s a permanent or temporary solution, it’s no secret that Duct Tape can be an excellent solution for many jobs. Duct Tape is a go-to tool for many, especially when in a crunch. It can hold broken storage bay doors closed while traveling, patch holes, seal packing boxes, and so much more.
It sticks to multiple types of surfaces as well. Sometimes, you just need something to hold together long enough until you can properly repair it, and Duct Tape will be your saving grace!
- 5-Roll Multipack, Great Savings – More bang for your buck! Premium quality at a great price, this 5-Roll Pack of Heavy...
- Waterproof, Residue-Free – Lockport all-weather grey duct tape is ideal for sealing, waterproofing, winterizing your...
4. Wire Cutters
When adding or modifying anything connected to your RV’s electrical system, you’ll need a solid set of wire cutters. You’ll need to cut and splice electrical wire when you’re doing simple tasks like changing lighting or fixtures or connecting a repeater to your RV battery. A good set of wire cutters will quickly do the trick!
- Wire cutter with induction hardened cutting edge stays sharp longer
- Strips and cuts 10-22 AWG
5. Utility Knife
A quality utility knife is a must for any RVer. You’ll need a good utility knife to easily open all of your Amazon deliveries, right?
Seriously though, a utility knife is super handy! It can cut rope, tape, and other materials around the campsite. Many RVers use utility knives for various RV modification jobs too.
- HEAVY DUTY UTILITY KNIFE: Metal, durable design with rubber grip allows for a long lasting, extremely durable cuts and...
- RETRACTABLE & ADJUSTABLE BLADE: Razor simply slides open for exact cuts. Blade easily retracts to lock safely within...
6. Screwdriver (Multi-Bit)
Your RV has hundreds of screws in it. Screws hold together everything from the exterior construction to your kitchen cabinets. Having a screwdriver, especially a multi-bit set, makes it incredibly easy to tighten any loose screws around the RV.
Many RVers find themselves using a screwdriver so often that they store their multi-bit set in a utility drawer in the living space.
- [What You Will Get]: 1 PC Screwdriver Handle with 6PC Double-ended Bits, 1/4 in. hex shank S2 steel bits, length 3-1/2...
- [Superior Ratcheting Mechanism]: Ratchet design breaks through the limitations of the direction, convenient switch for...
7. Tire Pressure Gauge
Traveling with your RV tires over or under the correct tire pressure can be incredibly dangerous and may cause considerable damage to your RV over time.
Using a simple tire pressure gauge to monitor tire pressure is an excellent start to both maximize your tire’s life and get better fuel economy.
- SPECIAL DESIGNED with a dual head chuck ideal for inner style dual wheels. This is a top-rated high-quality tire...
- BUILT TO LAST construction with an extended steel shaft, so you can take pressure readings easily on awkwardly located...
8. Heavy-Duty Work Gloves
Your hands can take a beating while RVing. A pair of heavy-duty work gloves can protect your hands and fingers when carrying firewood or doing repairs. They can also add grip when needed.
It only takes pinching the skin on a finger or your hand once before you order a set of heavy-duty work gloves, so save yourself from learning a painful lesson and add these to your RV tool kit today!
- PATENTED ROLLTOP SEAMLESS FINGERTIPS - Provide ultimate dexterity and double layer protection. U.S. Patent No. 7,287,285
- KEVLAR REINFORCEMENTS – Reinforced in critical wear areas for maximum durability
9. Zip Ties
Zip Ties are an RVer’s best friend. Did you know there are even reusable zip ties? These cheap pieces of plastic are the new Duct Tape.
Zip ties have a seemingly unlimited amount of uses and are easy to replace. They’re great for temporary or permanent jobs, and even if they break, they’re cheap and easy to replace. You’ll be surprised how many ways you can use zip ties around your RV.
- Releasable & Reusable & Adjustable, Allow to Release Or Re-Tie Again.
- 4 Sizes x 25 each = 100 Assortment of Plastic Nylon Ties, Family Combo Pack for Multi-Purpose Use
Flashlights aren’t just great for taking on night hikes but also for peering into your RV’s dark spaces. This tool can provide light when working in cabinets or under your rig.
Any flashlight will do, but some of our favorites have magnets on the end, so you can connect the flashlight to a metal piece on the RV and position it for optimal visibility. Then, you’ll have two free hands to get the job done instead of one.
- 【Strong Magnet & COB Sidelight Design】: Build with magnet can be attached to the surface of iron material to free...
- 【USB Rechargeable & Battery included】: Equipped with a 18650 overcharge protected rechargeable battery, making the...
A multimeter measures the voltage, continuity, and resistance in electrical components. These are essential tools for checking faulty connections and diagnosing the health of electronics.
RV electronics may perform inconsistently and can fail at a moment’s notice. Having a multimeter can help you pinpoint the component that’s not sending an electrical signal.
- Customer Service: KAIWEETS provides a lifetime after sale service and technical support. This digital multimeter is...
- Multi-Function: This multimeter can test AC/DC Voltage, DC current (Can not for AC current), Resistance, Continuity,...
12. Tire Inflator
A tire inflator can help you air up tires on your vehicle, trailer, or bike. You might think you can just use the air compressor at your local gas station to air up your tires, but it’s not that easy with an RV. Many gas stations aren’t set up for RVs to pull through and are often difficult to navigate.
A tire inflator can fix any pressure issues before you hit the road. Plus, it’s so much more convenient to have an air compressor with you at your campground or on the side of the road when you get a flat!
- 12 VOLT - 150PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use
- 1. 80CFM Free Flow at 0 PSI
13. Set of Allen Wrenches
Allen wrenches, or hex keys, have a hexagon (six-sided) shape. A set of Allen wrenches is inexpensive and has so many uses! You might use it to put together furniture or tinker with bicycles and other large toys.
Their L-shape means you can inert a generous amount of force when tightening or loosening things. This increased torque helps create a tighter connection and increases stability for furniture and other items. Some RV furniture will require Allen wrenches to put together or repair pieces.
- Includes 15-pc. long pattern hex key wrenches: 0.028, 0.035, 0.050, 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32,...
- Precisely sized, chamfered, straight ends offer a snug fit and insert smoothly into fastener head, reducing wear
14. Socket Set
A socket set is a fundamental piece of any tool kit, regardless if it’s RV-specific or not. Socket wrenches help tighten the nuts and bolts around your RV. You’ll also frequently use sockets when doing repairs on mechanical items like generators and other equipment.
RV manufacturers use a handful of sockets during construction. Items like the anode rod in your water heater or lug nuts on your tires may require a specific size or depth socket. So, you’ll want a socket that fits every nut or bolt on your RV.
- Mechanics Tools Come In A Removable Power Tools Accessory Case
- Socket Sets Feature Quick Release, 72 Tooth Ratchet for high torque ratcheting
15. Cordless Drill with Bits
A cordless drill gives you the freedom to move around without worrying about a power cable. Technologies have advanced in recent years, and cordless drills last much longer and provide more power than earlier models.
Combining a cordless drill with a set of bits can help you with many repairs or DIY projects. A drill makes screwing and unscrewing screws much easier than a screwdriver.
- High Efficiency Motor; If you desire a cost-effective and powerful drill, the SnapFresh Power Drill Cordless will be...
- 22 Torque and 2 Speed options; SnapFresh 20V Cordless Drill is equipped with 21 different torque setting and 1 special...
16. Swiss Army Knife or Multi-Tool
A Swiss army knife or multi-tool comes with many different tools built into it. Carrying one will give you pliers, a knife, a screwdriver, and sometimes even a bottle opener. Many RVers choose to carry these on their belts as they use them daily.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: WE STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS AND WARRANTY. Your satisfaction is our top priority. We offer...
- Compact, Durable & Practical: The 9-in-1 screwdriver bit set guarantees a multi-purpose using. It's well built with full...
Many of the crucial mechanisms in your RV will benefit from staying lubricated. Slide components, your hitch, and even the seals on your slide perform better and last longer when you oil them regularly.
Keeping a supply of lubricants for the parts available is the best way to keep up with this. Below is one of our favorite lubricants to have on hand.
- NSF H2 registered for use in meat and poultry plants
- Contains PTFE for long-lasting protection
18. Caulk Gun and Caulk
A caulk gun and caulk will help protect your RV from water damage. Having these two essential tools in your RV tool kit makes it easy to regularly inspect your RV’s roof and address issues. Water damage is nothing to take lightly. It can be an expensive repair, and preventative maintenance helps prevent even the slightest bit of water from entering your RV.
- Steel half-barrel (also called cradle) frame caulking gun for 1/10-gal. cartridges
- Thrust ratio of 10:1 for use with low viscosity materials
- Meets demanding industry requirements
- Remains flexible
Pro tip: Check with your RV manufacturer to confirm which type of roof you have and verify if you need a specific type of lap sealant.
19. Telescoping Ladder
While your RV may come with a ladder to give you access to the roof, a telescoping ladder is still beneficial. These ladders are incredibly light and easy to move around your RV while doing essential maintenance checks on seals or fixing windows. Checking your window seals can be incredibly difficult if your only access is from the roof.
- One Button Retraction: Convenience is key! That’s why we’ve designed this ladder with easy one button retraction....
- Premium Aluminum Alloy: The Ohuhu Telescopic Extension Ladder is crafted from high-quality aluminum alloy. It’s...
20. Jump Starter Box for Batteries
So many components depend on the battery system for power, but they don’t last forever. And without a jump starter box for your batteries, you could be waiting on the side of the road until a good samaritan comes along with a fully-loaded RV tool kit.
- Start Dead Batteries - Safely jump start a dead car battery in seconds with this compact, yet powerful, 3000-amp...
- UltraSafe - Safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks....
21. Folded-Blade Saw
A folded-blade saw is handy around the campsite. Whether you’re cutting smaller pieces of wood for a campfire or sawing a limb away from your RV, these tools are ideal. You’ll get a bit of a workout when sawing, but their compact design and ease of use make them an obvious choice for RVers.
- OUTDOOR & SURVIVAL: Throw this lightweight saw in your backpack or toolbox. This tool will be a great help in the bush...
- CURVED POWER BLADE FOR PRUNING: You can easily cut branches up to 4-inches in diameter with this rust-resistant powerful...
22. Tire-Changing Kit
Unless you’re part of a racecar’s pit crew, chances are you don’t enjoy changing tires. A tire-changing kit can make this job easier with the correct tools for the job.
You don’t want a tire flying off as you travel down the interstate with your RV. Having the appropriate supplies can take the stress away from the task and get you back on the road sooner and safer.
- ⚠For the impact wrench, 2 sleeves are available, be sure to choose the suitable one, keep pressing "II" to loosen the...
- 🧰Best Choice for Sedan & SUV: Use high standard cold-rolled steel which has strong bearing capacity and is not easy...
23. Water Bandit
A Water Bandit can quickly and easily connect to most standard hoses. This unique piece of aquatic equipment is perfect for damaged or stripped threads on water connections.
It’s excellent for quickly connecting your RV’s water hose to any water spigot. You’ll fill your water tank in no time!
- Connects a hose to unthreaded faucets or those with stripped threads
- 3 1/4 inch long and attaches to any standard size faucet
24. Thread Tape
This is a small but mighty addition to your RV tool kit. Every campground has different water spigots. Some leak more than others. Having this thread tape on hand quickly prevents leaks when connecting your water hose.
- For use in wrapping pipe threads to create air and water tight connections
- 520" long, 3/4" wide, and 3.5 mil thick for multiple uses. Thickness: .09mm
25. EternaBond Tape
EternaBond tape is great to have in your toolkit. It can be used as an alternative to lap sealant. Additionally, it’s helpful for small (or large) tears in your roof membrane. It’s waterproof and can be used in all weather conditions. Not only that but it can be used on all types of roofs.
- 4" x 50' Foot Contin ROLL of authentic Eternabond repair tape.
- Bonds to surfaces and stops leaks.
What’s in Your RV Tool Kit?
As you can see, there are many tools that you’ll find helpful in your RV tool kit. Most don’t take up much room, and you’ll be glad you have them! Having the appropriate tools can help reduce anxiety and stress, especially in emergencies.
What tools do you recommend that we didn’t include?
Last update on 2021-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API