When it comes to your RV roof, you want to make sure you are properly maintaining it on a regular basis with the best RV roof sealant. Your roof is exposed to the harshest of elements from wind, rain, dirt, and snow. It is very vulnerable and if not properly maintained they start to crack and leak. It can be a silent killer to your RV if not caught in time.
Once moisture gets into your roof and under the boards the only way to repair water damage is a re-haul of the wood and roof. If the leak is really bad, you might have to repair any walls and cabinets that might have also been damaged. We can confidently say it’s not something you want to mess with.
So, your best bet is to maintain your roof regularly! To do this means periodically resealing your roof. If you’ve never performed this type of RV maintenance, have no fear, it’s actually easier than you think.
- What Typically Needs to be Resealed
- Types of RV Roof Sealant
- The Best RV Roof Sealants
- Final Thoughts on RV Roof Sealant
What Typically Needs to be Resealed
If you go on your roof you will see that you have appliances on your roof like antennas, TV satellite, A/C units, and air vents. You will notice that all these have a sealant around the edges. This is to prevent any chance of moisture getting in where these devices were installed.
When the RV roof sealant starts to dry out and crack, you know it’s time to reseal them. Depending on your RV model, you may even have RV roof sealant around the edge of your roof. This is because your roof is made of one material that is different from the sides of your RV. So, to completely protect the roof from any leaks the sealant is added at the seam. It’s important to check this area as well, as it may also need to be resealed over time.
Now that you know what to look for, let’s dive into the different types of RV roof sealant and what they do.
Types of RV Roof Sealant
There are many different types of RV roof sealant depending on what needs to be sealed. Each serves a different purpose and you’ll want to have at least one of each on hand at all times. You never know when you’ll need it!
1. Self Leveling Sealant
When applied, this RV roof sealant will level out on its own to create a smooth and even seal. It’s the most common type of sealant and can be used everywhere on the flat surfaces of your RV roof.
2. Non Sag Sealant
Just like the name explains, this sealant is a little thicker so it doesn’t sag or drip. This sealant is best for areas that are on the sides of the roof or right at the edge. Where self-leveling would run down the roof, non-sag will not.
3. Seal Tape
This is a very heavy-duty tape that acts as another form of sealant. This is great for long seams on slideouts, the front cap area, or along the edge of the roof.
4. Butyl Tape
While seal tape can be used on it’s own, Butyl tape is best paired with one of the other sealant types listed above. It’s very pliable, so you would want to use this type of sealant when installing a window, skylight, roof vent, etc and then use another sealant on top of it.
The Best RV Roof Sealants
Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant
Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant is one of the best on the market. This self-leveling sealant is easy to apply and once set will last for quite a long time. This product works on most roof types including aluminum, mortar, wood, vinyl, galvanized metal, fiberglass, and concrete.
- Creates a secure, secondary seal along the roof’s edges, air vents, vent pipes and screw heads
- Adheres firmly to aluminum, mortar, wood, vinyl, galvanized metal, fiberglass and concrete
- Compatible with EPDM and TPO sheeting
- Color: White
Dicor Non-Sag RV Roof Lap Sealant
The Dicor Non-Sag Roof Lap Sealant is another good product made by Dicor. This sealant is used for the vertical areas that self-leveling won’t work. This non-sag RV roof sealant bonds to most roof types to create a waterproof seal.
- Color: White
- Create watertight seals
- Remains flexible
- Does not stain
EternaBond RV Roof Seal Sealant Tape & Leak Repair Tape
The EternaBond RV Roof Sealant Tape is a popular product for many reasons. Not only is it a great sealant but it’s fantastic to have on hand for quick fixes and tears. It’s a very sturdy product that is made to withstand any weather type. It also works on any roof type. It’s easy to install by rolling out the amount you need then applying it to the area.
- 4" x 50' Foot Contin ROLL of authentic Eternabond repair tape.
- Bonds to surfaces and stops leaks.
- Use on: EPDM, TPO, most PVC, CSPE/Hypalon, CPE, SBS, APP modifieds, asphalt BURs, coal tar BURs, all metal roofs, tiles, shingle, aluminum, galvanized steel, gypsum board, wood, polyethylene, propylene, polystyrene, fiberglass, brick, concrete, masonry, OSB, etc. Seals roof tears, seams, flashings, copings, skylights, gutters, and much more.
- This tape is made to withstand all weather and will flex, expand and contract in all conditions.
This tool is great for ensuring your EnternaBond Tape has full contact with your roof or seam. Just roll over the entire strip for a quick and easy repair/maintenance job!
- Roller Size: 5 x 3.5 cm / 2" x 1.4" (L*D); Handle Size: 13 x 3 cm / 5.1" x 1.2" (L*Max.D); Total Length: 18 cm / 7.1".
- The wallpaper seam roller are made of engineered natural solid wood handle, rubber roll and metal connector.
- Sturdy and durable, comfortable to hold and easy to use. Smooth, flexible operation.
- Minimizes air bubbles and gets the best adhesion of deadening mats to ensure the best comfort in your car, van, truck or any other vehicles.
Butyl Seal Tape
The Butyl Seal Tape is perfect for odd-shaped joints and installation projects. It works just as well as a sealant and is easy to apply. All you have to do is roll it along whatever space that needs it and then add another form of sealant on top of it. Because it’s a continuous roll you can make sure to cover any gap, making a tight primary seal.
- Dicor Butyl Tape - Ideal for sealing uniquely shaped joints
- Installs quickly, without gaps
- Apply along unusual patterns
- Because the sealant is on a continuous roll, installer can work fast and be virtually assured that there are no skips or runs in the seal
Alpha Systems Self-Leveling Lap Sealant
The Lippert Alpha Systems Self-Leveling Lap Sealant is what you want to use if you have an Alpha System roof like on a Grand Design RV. This is a self-leveling sealant that comes in multiple colors to match your roof. It’s a sturdy product that is built to last in the harshest of conditions. There is also a non-sag product as well.
- BUILT TO LAST — Formulated to withstand the outdoor transportation and weathering, this non-sag sealant is the perfect fix for uneven, slanted surfaces — including RV sidewalls and end rails.
- MULTIPLE COLOR OPTIONS — No matter the color of your RV’s roof, our sealant comes in a variety of options, including — white, beige, black, almond, and gray. Plus, once the sealant is cured, you can paint it a color of your choice.
- VERTICAL APPLICATION — Our non-sag sealant works best when applied to vertical surfaces of the RV and is not recommended for horizontal use.
- FORMULATED FOR TRAVEL— Once completely cured, this sealant can handle the shocks, vibrations, and stresses of transportation — so you can travel with confidence.
Alpha Systems Non-Sag Lap Sealant
This is the non-sag lap sealant you want to use if you have an Alpha Systems roof. It also comes in multiple colors and is a great sealant.
- All Weather Sealant - Resists sunlight, rain, ice, heat, snow, and cold
- 1 year shelf life
- Paintable - Color dries white
- Outstanding resistance to chemicals, oils and greases, fuel and salt
Final Thoughts on RV Roof Sealant
Lastly, we wanted to point out that our Grand Design Solitude has an Alpha System roof so we do not use Dicor products. Not all Grand Design RVs have an Alpha Systems roof so be sure to confirm with the manufacturer or your dealer which roof you have.
Either way, ensuring your roof is properly maintained with RV roof sealant is a big priority! Make sure to check your seals quarterly and add additional roof sealant when needed.
Now that you know what’s best for your roof, it’s time to learn about The Best RV Accessories For Clean and Crisp Drinking Water.
Join 5000+ Subscribers
For Exclusive Access to our Weekly Getaway Tips
What You Will Receive:
✅Tips and tricks to save you money and time when purchasing an RV and while out on the road.
✅Hand-picked product reviews and recommendations that we use and love.
✅Destination highlights and activities that you need to add to your bucket list.
Last update on 2020-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API