Table of Contents Show
- Can You Tent Camp in the Winter?
- Is a Tent Heater Safe?
- What Are the Different Types of Tent Heaters for Camping?
- What to Look for in a Tent Heater for Camping
- The Safest Tent Heaters for Camping
- Stay Safe, Stay Warm This Winter Camping Season
You can do some of the best camping in the winter as long as you have the best tent heaters. The landscape transforms with glistening icicles and snow-capped mountains. You have far fewer crowds, and the emptiness of the trails can make you feel as though you’re all alone in the world.
But to tent camp in the winter, you must come prepared with gear to keep you warm. Let’s look at seven of the best and safest tent heaters for camping and much more so you can enjoy this winter season!
Can You Tent Camp in the Winter?
You can definitely camp in the winter. But you must do so with some preparation. It’s not quite as easy as camping during the other parts of the year because you must take steps to ensure you stay warm.
But as long as you prepare and have the right equipment, winter camping is safe and sometimes preferred due to the lack of crowds and peaceful solitude.
Is a Tent Heater Safe?
You can safely use a heater in a tent as long as you get one designed for camping use and follow appropriate safety measures.
Ensure you securely position it on the ground, not halfway leaning where it could easily fall over. It also must have enough ventilation. Additionally, having a portable carbon monoxide detector is always a good idea.
What Are the Different Types of Tent Heaters for Camping?
You can find a few different types of tent heaters for camping. Propane or butane tent heaters are the most popular because they don’t require electricity.
But if you have access to a pedestal at a campground, you may also use electric heaters. Wood stoves can also work if you can create the proper ventilation needed.
What to Look for in a Tent Heater for Camping
Always note the safety features when looking for a tent heater for camping. You’ll want a heater with an automatic shut-off if it tips over and after a long period of use.
You also want some kind of overheat protector feature so that it will turn off if the internal mechanisms get too hot.
Besides safety features, you’ll need to decide what size tent heater you need. If it’s just you tent camping with your dog, you don’t need a heater that covers 300 square feet.
However, if you have a multi-room tent shared by a family, you’ll need a larger tent heater with more BTUs.
The Safest Tent Heaters for Camping
Below we list seven of the safest and best tent heaters for camping. You can count on their safety features to protect you and your camping companions. You can also rely on their output to keep you warm on cold winter nights.
1. Mr. Heater Buddy
Mr. Heater is one of the most popular brands of tent heaters available. This option is approved for indoor/outdoor use and covers up to 225 square feet with 4,000 to 9,000 BTUs.
It also has an automatic shut-off, so you don’t have to worry about safety. You’ll need a small propane cylinder, which will last about four hours.
2. Mr. Heater Buddy Flex Heater
For even greater coverage, this Mr. Heater option has up to 11,000 BTUs of omnidirectional radiant heat. It also has a safety shut-off and is powered by propane.
If you want to cover large square footage in a multi-room tent, this is one of your best tent heaters for camping.
- 11,000 BTU omni-directional radiant heat
- High wind resistance technology
3. Mr. Heater Little Buddy
The last Mr. Heater tent heater is a much smaller indoor safe option. It heats up to 95 square feet to cover a small tent for a solo traveler. Like the others, it has a low-oxygen sensor and an accidental tip-over switch.
- Indoor-safe portable propane heater for rooms up to 95 square feet. THIS UNIT IS NOT INTENDED FOR GOLF CART USE OR FOR...
- Continuous odor-free, 45-degree heating angle. Maximum Elevation (Ft) 7000 Feet. Automatic low oxygen shut-off system...
4. Campy Gear Chubby
This two-in-one portable propane heater and stove by Campy provides a place to cook in addition to warmth on a winter’s night.
The 9,000 to 10,000 BTUs and the 360-degree radiant heating will warn your tent in no time. Use the “heat only,” the “cook only,” or the “cook & heat” modes for optimal performance.
Keep in Mind: Before you decide to camp in the winter, you’re going to want to know about these Winter Camping Tips
- 【2 in 1 Portable Heater & Stove】Campy Gear honorably presents you this 2-in-1 heater & stove that serves the purpose...
- 【Rapid Heating & 360°Radiant Heating】With a maximum output of up to 9000-10000 BTU propane heaters with the...
5. Bulletshaker Camping Mini Heater
One of the most budget-friendly options on this list of tent heaters for camping is this Bulletshaker mini heater.
Weighing less than a pound, it’s ideal for backpackers. Plus, the high-temperature resistant stainless steel is durable for those rugged outdoor adventures.
- Specifications: Material: stainless steel Weight: 400g Size: 14.5*11.5*12cm
- Features: burning flame is changed into radial heat energy. Widely use in combination of heating, water boiling and...
6. Stanley ST-SSSA-120 Heavy-Duty Electric Heater
If you have access to electricity, this Stanley electric heater is a great option for tent campers who need to heat less than 165 square feet.
It weighs less than four pounds and uses 1,500 Watts. It has two heat settings, a fan-only option, plus a safety tip-over switch.
- Powerful This Room Heater Can Heat Up To 165 Sq Feet Making It A Great Space Heater For Office
7. Amazon Basics Electric Space Heater with Temperature Control
Another budget-friendly option is this Amazon Basics electric space heater. If you’re using a portable power station or have access to electricity, it comes with three heat settings to provide optimal comfort. It uses only 520 Watts, making it a great spring and fall camping option.
Keep in Mind: Should You Turn Off Your RV Water Heater When Not in Use? Let’s find out!
- Electric space heater for heating small living areas; suitable for tabletop or floor placement
- Includes a 520 watt electric space heater with heat tolerant black plastic housing that stays cool to the touch
Stay Safe, Stay Warm This Winter Camping Season
If you’re camping this winter, head out prepared for cold temperatures. The best way to stay warm is to get one of these tent heaters for camping.
Whether you want to run a heater off a propane or butane cylinder or plan to use a campground’s electricity, you have several options to heat up small and large tent spaces.
Which option is the best for your tent camping needs?
Last update on 2023-04-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API