Buying camera lenses are the expensive part of photography/videography. The great news is that they last way longer than the camera’s themselves. The last time we upgraded from the Canon Rebel T2i to the Canon 80D, we didn’t need to purchase any new lenses since they all worked with our upgraded body. Spend your money on buying more lenses and less on the camera. That being said, why waste money buying new lenses when you can get “like-new” for up to 40% off?
The original place to buy used camera gear was eBay. It still has some great deals today but unfortunately, it also has a bunch of scammers. How do you know if that great price is because someone is just trying to get rid of their lenses or if there is something wrong with it they are not disclosing? Enter KEH. They sell used camera gear that has been expertly reviewed and categorized. Any issues with the lens will be noted including any scratches or if it’s missing the lens cap.
KEH is now my go-to place for purchasing used camera lenses. While I try to save money every way that I can, I am willing to spend a few extra dollars now to ensure that I won’t need to spend more later. KEH also has a 14-day full refund policy in-case you feel like you were duped. If you ever tried to return something because you were dupped on eBay or craigslist you know how nice that piece of mind is. KEH also offers a 14-day price match so you can get a refund if the price drops on the product you just bought. If you are still wary that something might have snuck by the expert reviewers and you get a dud. They have a 180-day warranty to make sure that you are happy with your purchase. They even provide shipping both ways so you won’t have any additional out of pocket costs.
OK, enough fanboying over KEH. If you are looking at getting into vlogging then make sure you check out my recommendations below. These are Canon specific because I love Canon. The recommendations below are split between EF (Full-Frame sensors like Canon 5D Mark IV or Canon 1DX Mark II) and EF-S (Crop sensors like Canon 80D) lenses. Most crop sensor bodies will mount EF & EF-S lenses but full-frame will only mount EF lenses. Make sure you know the capabilities of your camera. If you still need to buy a camera, check out our article on choosing the best cameras for vlogging.
Vlogging & wide shots
Crop Sensor: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6
- EF-S ultra wide zoom lens. Drive System-Lead screw and rack system driven by stepping motor
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10-18mm,1:4.5 - 5.6
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.72 ft. / 0.22m
- Stepping motor for noise-free video shooting
- Optical image stabilizer
Full-Frame Sensor: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM
- High performance L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens with constant f/2.8 maximum aperture.
- All-new optical design for significant improvements in outer and corner sharpness.
- Sub wave length Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC) help to significantly reduce flare and ghosting.
- Highly resistant to dust and water intrusion, enabling shooting even in harsh conditions*.
- Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds. Not an Extender Compatiblity. Magnification with Extension Tube EF12 II- 0.65 at Tele (Not compatible at Wide). Magnification with Extension Tube EF25 II- 1.14 at Tele (Not compatible at Wide).Lens Construction:16 elements in 12 groups.Filter Size: 82mm, P=0.75mm/1 filter
Everyday Walk-around lens
Crop Sensor: Canon EF-S 15-85 f/3.5‑5.6 IS USM
- 15-85mm lens with f3.5-f.5.6 aperture; for use with APS-C cameras
- 35mm equivalent to 24-136mm focal length range
- Dedicated image stabilization
- Lens construction of 17 elements in 12 groups
- Compatible with 72mm filters.Closest Focusing Distance: 1.15 ft./0.35m
Full-Frame Sensor: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- 24-70mm focal length, 38.4-112mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F2.8 constant maximum aperture; F22 minimum, Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- 82mm filters, Closest Focusing Distance: 0.38m/1.25 ft.
- Image Stabilization : No. Focus Adjustment- Inner-focusing with USM. Diagonal Angle of View- 84° - 34°. Weight-1.7 pound
- Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible.
Blurry background & Low light:
Both: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
- 50mm focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography; Angle of view (horizontal, vertical, diagonal): 40º, 27º,46º
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
- Stepping motor (STM) delivers near silent, continous Move Servo AF for movies and smooth AF for stills
- 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, 50mm on full-frame cameras.Lens Construction:6 elements in 5 groups
Both: Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM II
- 70-200 mm focal length and 1:2.8 maximum aperture
- Lens construction consists of 23 elements in 19 groups (1 fluorite and 5 UD elements)
- 34-Degree - 12-Degree diagonal angle of view
- Inner focusing system with USM and full-time manual focus option
- 77 mm filter size. Extenders Compatible
Canon Portrait and Travel Two Lens Kit with 50mm f/1.8 and 10-18mm Lenses
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a compact, lightweight fixed focal length lens ideal for everyday photos, and with a large f/1.8 aperture, a perfect lens for low-light photography and creative background blur
- EF-S10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM is an EF-S ultra-wide zoom lens with an impressive starting focal length (16mm in 35mm equivalence). For expansive scenery from tall buildings to inspiring mountain ranges, the wide angle of view from the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM helps you achieve vivid colors and details during your travels
- A stepping motor (Gear-type STM) supports the Movie Servo AF function in providing smooth and quiet continuous AF during video recording, as well as when shooting photos
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM:Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m); maximum magnification of 0.21x. EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM:Full-time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in AF Mode
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM :Circular aperture (7 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.Metal mount helps provide stability and ruggedness
Last update on 2019-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API