RVing with our dog, Carmen is so rewarding for us! We love watching her explore a new place for the first time or stick her head out of the truck on the open road. She is enjoying this RV adventure just as much as we are (if not more, actually). After a year on the road, we’ve discovered some essentials that make traveling with a dog so much easier. These are our top 10 must-have items if you’re going to be RVing with dogs.
1. Pet Hammack or Doggy Seatbelt
Now that we travel with Carmen in the car weekly, we purchased a pet hammock for the backseat. This is a great accessory because it keeps her safe in one area, off the floor, and protects our seats. If you can’t dedicate the entire backseat of your car or truck to Fido, at the very least get a doggy seatbelt for their safety.
- Size & Hammock Convertible: 56" Wide x 60" Length: Designed for the backseats of All STANDARD cars, trucks & SUVs. Easily convertible between hammock or standard bench coverage
- WaterProof & Non-slip Backing: Our seat cover for dog are completely waterproof because of our new Waterproof TPU. It also includes built-in rubber nonslip backing and seat anchors to prevent seat cover from sliding around
- Feel Soft and Comfortable: Use the new meterial to make the cover more lighter, your dog also feels soft and comfortable
- Easy to Install: The dog car seat cover is very easy to install with buckle straps, seat anchors and side flaps. It's also easy to clean - Machine Washable: Use Gentle Cycle
- Guaranteed: If you don't like our seat cover, or whatever, we'll instantly refund your money and you can keep the cover, no questions asked. It's our promise and we don't lie
- 🐕 HIGH QUALITY - Pets-N-Stuff is a dog travel accessories brand. Our safety headrest seat belt for dogs is made of high quality tethered nylon fabric and solid zinc alloy. The car's backseat headrest serves as a seat belt anchor.
- 🐕 SAFETY FIRST - Keep your pet safely restrained by harnessing your specially designed leash to the backseat while driving. By doing so, your dog can sit, stand or lie down comfortably in a car without distracting the driver.
- 🐕 EASY USE - The tangle-free nylon straps quickly and easily attaches to vehicle headrests. Safety strap is easily removed making it the perfect dog leash for your vehicle's back seat.
- 🐕 ADJUSTABLE - Dogs come in different sizes and weights. The Doggy Headrest Restraint is adjustable between 18-30 inches, making it customizable for dogs of all sizes (i.e. small, medium, large).
- 🐕 RISK FREE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We are certain that you and your dog will love this car headrest restraint! If you are not absolutely satisfied, we'll replace it or refund your purchase. Providing you the best customer service!
2. Poo Bags
Okay, people! I shouldn’t have to say this but we’ve seen plenty of RVers without poo bags. Not only is it rude to not pick up after your doggy, it’s bad for the environment. Seriously it is, read this article if you don’t believe me. Don’t be the most hated neighbor in the park and get yourself some poo bags. They even have cute poo bag holders that attach to the leash so you don’t forget them.
- High-quality dog waste bags: These bags measure 9" x 13" and are bigger, thicker and tougher than all other poop bags.
- Lavender-scented: Included are 8 rolls of 15 lavender-scented bags that fit into most dispensers.
- Easy to open and detach from the roll: Our bags are easy to open and detach from the roll while still being extra tough.
- Environmentally conscious: Our dog poop bag roll cores and packaging are made from recycled materials.
- Two package options: Bags can be purchased in either an 8-pack or bulk refill pack of 18 rolls.
- Bags measure 9 x 13 inches
- Includes 1 roll of 15 bags
- Green-colored dispenser with screw-on top
- Convenient hook on back for hands-free bag transport
3. Outdoor Leash
If we’re blessed with a large campsite (and the campground allows it) we love to sit outside and let Carmen roam. She has free range but is still safe with our 30-foot cable lead. I have to mention we never leave her outside unsupervised even with the lead on, and you shouldn’t either. They can get tangled or be a nuisance to other dogs being walked nearby. While supervised, Carmen loves exploring our campsite, people watching and sunbathing on her lead.
- Flexible rust resistant vinyl-coated galvanized cable, clips on collar & stake, 30-feet, for dog up to 50lbs
- Quality tested, twin-swivel design prevents tangling and spring at the clip of the tie-out prevents jerking the pet reaches the end of the line
- Dog weight rated, and it can run anywhere along the length of tie out and never get out of range
- Strong comfort snaps attached on both ends, can be easily attached to a post or stake and protect pet neck well
- Direct connection for added strength,control the pet effectively without being in a cage
4. Flea and Tick Medication
While on the road, you will be exposing your pup to many new insects (and diseases caused by those insects). We recommend investing some time researching your different flea and tick prevention options so your dog is protected. We had a vet visit on the east coast to make sure Carmen was well covered in this part of the country. It should be noted to also have a conversation with your vet about heartworm protection too. A vet visit to discuss if your dog is thoroughly protected before you hit the road is a great idea!
5. Dry Skin Shampoo
You’ll also be exposing your dog to different weather elements. Carmen had a small adjustment period in those dry winter months and in the desert states. We were able to get her through it comfortably with a good dry skin shampoo.
- INGREDIENTS: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Laureth-10, Polysorbate 20, Aloee Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5)
- INGREDIENTS CONT.: Tocopheryl Acetate, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, Methyl Chloro Isothiazolinone, Methyl Isothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Perfume)
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin treatment that comes directly to you and your pet without sacrificing vegan and organic principles or quality . Our delicate balance of essential oils form the foundation of a veterinarian recommended coat care regimen.
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Paws & Pals is proud to offer our Fully vegan and organic Pet Wash Shampoo. Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve the best when it comes to caring for their coat and skin. At Paws & Pals we have developed an all natural and organic shampoo that not only respects the environment as well as nature, but insures that in doing so your pet has the best possible skin care and coat treatment available.
- TEAR-FREE SOAPLESS FORMULA TURNS BATHTIME INTO PLAYTIME: Our tear free formula is the result of natural oils and extracts that do not irritate or inflame your dogs eyes or nose, ensuring that bath time is a fun and playful experience for you both. (we cannot guarantee a splash'free experience.)
6. Portable Water Bottle
Obviously, you’ll be out exploring with your dog during your RV adventures! Don’t forget they need to stay hydrated to keep up. We love our portable water bottle for hiking with Carmen (and she does too!).
- QUICK & CONVENIENT - The PupSipper silicone top quickly flips up to create a cup for your dog to lap from as you gently squeeze water from the bottle. When finished drinking, easily flip the top back down and you're ready to go again. No wasted water, no extra bowl, no need to stop and sit down.
- DURABLE & EXPANDABLE - Removable top can be washed and easily attached to larger water bottles. Available about 500ml/17oz
- PERFECTLY SAFE - Made with high quality flexible food-grade silicone, 100% lead-¬free, BPA-free, FDA approved. You also can rest assured that when your pet is enjoying food or water from one of our bottles, they're completely safe from toxins and so are you.
- DURABLE AND REUSABLE - The bottle top's durable silicone construction means that they can be rinsed or wiped clean after use. Also gives the bottle greater longevity over other similar products.
- EASY FOR TRANSPORTATION - Compact water bottle is great for walking and travelling with you dog. The included bottle clip can be attached to your backpack, purse, dog travel crate, stroller, glovebox, and more! Terrific Pet Supplies for Dogs Water Bottle or Dog Travel Bottle
For those times that Carmen can’t come on the adventure, we make sure she has some Kongs to keep her busy. We shove a cookie in there and she’s good to go. Working for a treat is good for your dog’s brain and keeps them occupied (for a little while at least 😉 ).
- Use as a fetch stick that's both safe and reliable
- Helps clean teeth and soothe gums
- Made in the USA. Globally Sourced Materials.
- Available in three sizes: S, M and L
- Recommended by veterinarians and trainers worldwide
8. Treat Dispenser
We also have a Kong Automatic Treat Dispenser for those times we’ll be gone longer than a few hours. We’re able to put up to four Kongs inside at once. The dispense option releases every one hour or every two hours. We also put extra special Kongs in for these rare occasions (filled with wet food, sealed with peanut butter and frozen). These special treats keep her busy because they take a lot longer to get through. She gets so excited when she sees us bring out the automatic treat dispenser!
- Automatic dog-toy dispenser provides food-filled dog toys throughout the day
- Toys can be filled with dog's regular food; choose between a 4- or 8-hour setting
- Recommended for single-dog households and large dog breeds
- Includes 4 large toys, batteries, and Kong Stuff'N Snaps and Paste samples
- Measures 13 by 13 by 6 inches; 1-year limited warranty
9. MarCELL Monitoring System
The MarCELL Monitoring System is the only reason we even feel comfortable leaving the RV for longer periods of time. This awesome gadget works on cellular data and will send us a text message if the temperature, electricity, or humidity go outside of our pre-set safety ranges. Campground electricity is known for going out (we’ve had three cases in a year so far) and that scared us to death. In those hot summer months, you do not want your AC going out while your dog is in the RV. MarCELL will immediately notify us if the temperature goes above a certain range and we have time to get home to get Carmen out.
- Includes 1 wireless Water SPuck (SEN-100-WR)
- Secure cellular based system
- Easy to use
- Affordable way to protect your properties
- Instant notification of issues via text, email or phone call
10. ID Tag and Chip
Last but definitely not least is to make sure your dog has an engraved ID tag. Ensure it is engraved with their name and your phone number (a backup phone number on there is a good idea too). Even better? Get your dog chipped. That way if they manage to get out and lose their collar, a good samaritan will hopefully get them to a vet to scan for a chip.
- Premium Quality Anodized Aluminum Pet ID Tags by PROVIDENCE ENGRAVING. Our Pet ID Tags Are Manufactured Using Aircraft Grade Aluminum and Anodized with a Bright and Thick Layer that Exceeds Industry Standards for Color Retention and Durability. Each Pet ID Tag Ships with a Stainless Steel Split Ring and Includes Custom Laser Engraving.
- TO COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE: Please Click "CUSTOMIZE NOW"
- In the Customization Utility You May Specify Your SIZE, SHAPE, & COLOR and Add UP TO 4 LINE OF CUSTOM TEXT ON EACH SIDE.
- PLEASE NOTE: the Cat Face and Paw Shapes Are Embossed on One Side so for the Best Result We Recommend Engraving These Shapes on a Single Side Only
- SIZING: SMALL Tags are Approximately 1" in Diameter While LARGE Tags are Approximately 1.3" in Diameter. In General, Size SMALL is Recommended for Toy Dog Breeds and All Cats.
Well, those are our top 10 must-have items for RVing with dogs! We’ve found each and every one of these items to be extremely beneficial while RVing with our dog. Anything else you think we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments!
Last update on 2018-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API