Good RV internet access was my number one concern before hitting the road. From watching movies to communicating with family and friends, the internet is ingrained in our lives now whether we live it or not. We rely on the internet to get us to our next campsite and then to find the best place to eat in a new town.
Having a background in computer network engineering, consistent rv internet access is important, like really important. Since I work full-time on the road, I need to have a strong connection from 9 to 5. After the normal working hours, we still need connectivity because of all of the side businesses we run. Then when we finally start to relax for the night around 10 pm, all of our entertainment is over the internet. We stream movies to our RV almost every night and have been known to have a binge session or two on Netflix.
Good cell service is deciding a factor on if we will stay in a campground or not.
Since we rely on cellular for our main RV wireless internet connectivity, we have purchased plans from the two leading US carriers AT&T and Verizon.
I have been an AT&T customer back to when they were Cingular. I had the original iPhone Unlimited data plan but decided to change it when they started applying “network management” to the speed of it after a 20 Gb a month. They had the new Unlimited Plus plans that allowed “unlimited” data until they started “managing” the speed after 20 Gb a month AND you got hotspot data on your phone (10 Gb a month I think). This was all upside too me.
Network Management is where they de-prioritize your traffic when the cell tower is busy. This is more annoying than anything and means that you need to click refresh a couple of times until your data loads. We have only been affected by this when near major events that have unforeseen amounts of people in an area.
We also moved Rae onto my plan off of T-Mobile giving her the same unlimited data + hotspot plan for an additional $20/month. At the time, we also were able to add a hotspot to the plan for $20/month. We use it as our main source of internet and it is unlimited until after 20 Gb when it can be managed. We can easily blow through 20 Gb in a day depending on what we are doing so are grateful that we are only managed by using 20 Gb and not throttled.
We also purchased a resale unlimited data plan (UDP) for Verizon. It was the grandfathered version that has no throttling (which was important to us). This has been a lifesaver for us where AT&T gets no service or is being managed. It allows me to have consistent internet access almost everywhere. Verizon has the most consistent service from what we have seen as well.
The last thing that we use to round out our RV internet arsenal is a cell signal booster. We chose the WeBoost 4GX because of its outstanding performance ratings. It allows us to get internet (almost) anywhere from our RV. We rarely need to break it out but it has been a lifesaver when we did need it. We also have a passive Netgear antenna that we use to give our hot spots a little directional assistance when they need it. It suction-cups to the inside of our window in the direction of the cell tower.
- COMPATIBILITY: This we Boost Signal Booster is compatible with all US carriers including: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, Straight Talk, U.S. Cellular and many more. *Government regulations in the U.S. prohibit boosting a particular frequency used by some of the Sprint network. Most Sprint customers still see performance improvement from we Boost signal boosters.
- SIGNAL BOOSTER: The we Boost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster boosts your 4G LTE and 3G signal up to 32X for fewer dropped calls, higher audio quality, and faster uploads and downloads. Power Req- 110-240 V AC, 50-60 Hz, 8 W
- STATIONARY OR ON THE GO: The we Boost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster is designed to increase your cellular signal for you RV or motorhome regardless of whether you are in motion or stationary.
- FRUSTRATION FREE SETUP: we Boost cell phone signal boosters feature quick and easy, do it yourself installation. All components needed for installation are included, making for a seamless set up of your signal booster.
- BATTERY LIFE: Enjoy up to 2 hours of additional talk time with the we Boost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Signal Booster. This cell phone signal booster consumes only a small percentage of your device's battery, prolonging battery life.
- Improve performance of your mobile broadband devices when indoors or in fringe zones with this portable antenna, covering a wide band spectrum (700MHz to 2600MHz).
- Usable indoors or outdoors. Frequency Bands: 700-906/1710-1990/2110-2170/2500-2700 MHz
- Improve performance in areas with low 3G or 4G signal strength
- Compatible with Telstra Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi
- Aircard 753S or 754S Mobile Hotspots
- DOES THIS DEVICE NEED A SIM CARD: Yes this device needs a micro size SIM card, (not-Included though Free from most GSM Networks with activation of an account) There will be a sticker with the Unlock code enclosed on the box Label in case you need to reformat the device or change your Network provider.
- WHAT NETWORK FREQUENCIES ARE SUPPORTED BY THIS DEVICE: The Phone will support the folowing Technology Bands: 3G 4G HSPA+ UMTS 850 900 1900 2100MH. 4G LTE Bands 1 2 3 4 5 7 12 17 29 30 with enhanced backhaul with Global roaming supported. Please contact your Network provider (prior to purchase) and inquer if they support these bands in your area to ensure the device will work Properly.
- WHAT CAN I EXPECT OUT OF THE BOX: A removable 4,300mAh battery that lasts for 22 hours of continuous streaming (Removable W-9 Battery enclosed), as well as a Battery boost cable The charging port is a USB 3.0 port, which also lets you connect it as a USB modem, or to charge a device with the Battery Boost cable , you can also use a micro USB cable to charge the Hotspot the charger that comes with the device is a 2 PC Micro USB 2.0 (not a 3.0 although the port is 3.0). And a Waterproof back door
- WHAT DOES UNLOCKED REALLY MEAN: Unlocked devices are compatible with GSM carriers the kinds that Use SIM Cards for Service like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers) Unlocked Devices will not work with CDMA Carriers the kinds that dont use sim cards for service like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin (contact your network provider prior to purchasing for verification that they support GSM frequencies).
- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILL NOT WORK ON VERIZON OR SPRINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 4G LTE Advanced-capable device for ultimate download speeds
- Up to 24 hours of battery life on a single charge
- Charge your smartphone or small portable USB device
- Secure with Guest WiFi, password protection, and the latest WiFi security
- World Device for easy Internet access when traveling internationally
- 4.7-Inch (diagonal) widescreen LCD multi-touch display with IPS technology and Retina HD display
- Splash, water, and dust resistant
- 12MP camera with Optical image stabilization and Six‑element lens
- 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps
- All new glass design with A color‑matched, aerospace‑grade aluminum band
Wifi in the RV
We like to have a local network. After going the first 3 months with nothing, we purchased an ASUS AC1900. It has super fast local wifi speeds for all our onboard wired devices. No more plugging in our laptops to backup our videos and pictures to our 30 TB network attached storage (NAS) system. We can also watch any of the 500+ movies we have on our NAS from any device on our local network like our Apple TV. No data required.
The reason we choose the ASUS AC1900 is that it also allows us to connect one hotspot to it. This is the same functionality as many of the major RV wireless systems for half the price. The hotspot connectivity allows any “non-wireless” devices to access the internet. It even has a very basic functionality that allows you to connect the access point to an external wifi signal allowing any wired devices to use free wifi. This will disable our local wireless network so we use it only when necessary.
- Dual-band with the latest 802. 11AC 3x3 technology for combined speeds of up to 1900 Mbps
- 1GHz dual-core CPU enables smart multitasking by dedicating separate lanes for Wi-Fi and USB data. Network standard: IEEE 802. 11a, IEEE 802. 11B, IEEE 802. 11G, IEEE 802. 11N, IEEE 802. 11AC, IPv4, IPv6
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web-based interface. Dual-band connectivity for compatibility and performance
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS router app
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data. Please refer the installation manual and the user manual before use which is highly essential. Dc output: 19 V with max. 1. 75 a current. Guest network: 2. 4 GHz x 3, 5 GHz x 3
We use public wifi anywhere we can that is fast enough. The sorry fact is that at most campgrounds, it isn’t. My requirements are that it is free, at least 5 Mbps, doesn’t drop my connection. Over the last 8 months, we have used the internet about 5 times. Don’t fret though there are definitely other options.
Most of the time all you need to do is go to the office where the access point is located to get good speeds. A Wifi booster would help you here grabbing that good signal all the way back in your RV. We do not have one (yet). It has been one of the purchases we have been putting off (unless someone wants to send us one to review hint Winegard or WifiRanger hint).
If the office doesn’t provide what you need there are countless other places offering free wifi these days. You can get online at most local libraries, McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Starbucks. You can always get free wifi on the road if you are willing to go to it.
- Extended RV Wi-Fi range - powerful amplifier and three high performance external antennas for increased range, multi-user mimo-ready for Faster performance for each device
- Secure RV Internet - Advanced Wi-Fi protected access (wpa and wpa2-psk), guest Network access, double firewall protection (spi and nat), denial of service attack prevention
- Simple setup - connect all of your devices instantly when you connect to a new Network. Easy step-by-step on screen instructions make setup a breeze
- Proven reliability - 2 year parts, 1 year labor warranty. Proven dome design is rigorously tested to meet the demands of the mobile environment
- Winegard antenna experts - RV industry pioneers and a leading designer and manufacturer of quality antenna and signal reception equipment since 1954
We have had no issues with our current gear getting internet in our RV. What do you use to stay connected?
Last update on 2019-03-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API